Honoring Our Nation’s Veterans
During this Veterans Day week, we celebrate veterans and recommit ourselves to honoring them and their families with action. I have been working to ensure they have the resources they need to lead meaningful lives after their time in the service, and I would like to provide you with an update on those efforts.
This year, I have successfully worked to pass legislation that will support veterans with robust federal funding:
- The American Rescue Plan allocated $17 billion to help our veterans recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. This bill waived medical copayments for VA health care, expanded job training and employment assistance for unemployed veterans and addressed backlogs in compensation and pension claims.
- The federal spending bill included $97.6 billion to boost veteran health care, $2.2 billion to improve safety and expand services at VA facilities and $2.2 billion to address veteran homelessness and support veterans reentering the workforce.
- I will continue to push that Congress pass the Build Back Better Act, which would invest $5 billion in the VA’s physical and personnel infrastructure so that veterans get the best care.
I was pleased to join veterans across Maryland’s Third Congressional District to celebrate Veterans Day, provide legislative updates and hear directly from them about their experiences.
My office regularly assists veterans and retired military personnel in Maryland’s Third Congressional District. I am proud to ensure that the VA delivers on the promises that we’ve made to those who proudly served. We can help you and your families:
- Clarify the status of a disability claim, appeal or pension application;
- Resolve concerns with VA medical centers; and
- Address issues for military retirees and their spouses regarding retirement pay, survivor’s benefits or debt.
If you need assistance, please call my office at (410) 832-8890 or email us at https://sarbanes.house.gov/contact.
Happy Veterans Day to you and your family.
Congressman John Sarbanes
Maryland’s Third Congressional District