Sarbanes Co-Sponsors Green New Deal Resolution
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman John Sarbanes (D-Md.) today co-sponsored the Green New Deal resolution, a revolutionary set of policy priorities to tackle the climate crisis, improve the quality of life for all Americans and position the United States as a leader in the fields of sustainability, climate resiliency and clean, renewable energy.
“The ideals laid out in the Green New Deal Resolution will set us on a path toward a clean energy revolution and a green economy that benefits all Americans,” said Congressman Sarbanes, a longtime and forceful advocate for climate action, energy efficiency and environmental education. “I’m proud to join my Democratic colleagues in this transformational effort to end decades of fossil fuel industry dominance over our energy policies and reorient our nation to becoming a 21st-century, clean energy leader.”
Specifically, the Green New Deal Resolution lays out several key policy priorities, including:
- Committing the federal government to reduce carbon emissions in the United States to zero percent by transitioning to a clean, renewable energy economy that creates good-paying jobs, invests in sustainable infrastructure and protects America’s ecosystems and natural resources for future generations;
- Building resiliency against climate change-related disasters and mitigating the health and economic impacts of climate change;
- Upgrading the national electric grid and deploying smart grid technology;
- Increasing the efficiency of factories, office buildings and homes;
- Increasing investment in and access to low-emission transportation solutions;
- Cleaning up hazardous waste left behind by dirty industry polluters;
- Supporting farmers to reduce emissions from the agricultural sector;
- Providing high-quality education and job training to all Americans;
- Strengthening and protecting workers’ rights, workplace safety and anti-discrimination policies;
- Enacting and enforcing trade rules that promote strong labor and environmental protections; and
- Providing all Americans with high-quality health care, safe and affordable housing, economic security and access to clean water, clean air and healthy foods.
Congressman Sarbanes recently joined the first House Subcommittee hearing on the climate crisis to highlight the urgent need to take swift and meaningful action on climate change.