Sarbanes Votes to Strengthen American Roads, Highways, Bridges, Public Transit and Drinking Water Infrastructure
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman John Sarbanes (D-Md.) today voted to pass the Investing in a New Vision for the Environment and Surface Transportation (INVEST) in America Act (H.R. 3684), a bill to modernize transportation and drinking water infrastructure, reduce carbon emissions, advance environmental justice efforts and create millions of good-paying jobs.
“Today, House Democrats took another important step forward in our work to improve American infrastructure,” said Congressman Sarbanes. “This critical new investment will enhance the safety of public transit and highways, repair drinking water systems and better connect communities to economic growth and opportunity. We will continue making innovative and equitable investments that help American families and small businesses prosper.”
The INVEST in America Act includes more than $48 million in federal transit funding secured by Congressman Sarbanes to support projects across Maryland’s Third Congressional District.
Key provisions of the INVEST in America Act include:
- Creating good-paying jobs and restoring America’s global economic competitiveness;
- Investing in underserved and rural communities;
- Reducing carbon emissions, deploying innovative green technology and improving infrastructure resiliency to withstand the impacts of climate change;
- Designing safer roads and highways, with special attention to pedestrian and cyclist safety;
- Investing in public transit systems and the national rail network; and
- Enhancing drinking water and wastewater infrastructure, improving water quality, helping low-income families pay their water bills and prioritizing the replacement of lead pipes and service lines.
See here for more information about the bill.